Wednesday 21 September 2016

Assignment 1 – Formal Email

From: Derrick Hiu
Subject: Self Introduction and Aims For Future
Date: 21 September 2016
To: Brad Blackstone

Dear Brad,

Good afternoon, I am Derrick Hiu from group 1 of the telematics (TLM1010) programme module. I am writing this email as an introduction about myself, explaining some of my educational background, interests, goals in Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) and aims for the future.

Here is something about my educational background. I came from a neighbourhood primary and secondary school and scored quite badly for the leaving school examinations. I scored 174 for my Primary School Leaving Examinations (PSLE) and 25 points for my General Certificate of Education (GCE) Ordinary-level. It was quite surprising that I managed to get into a polytechnic with that score. Furthering my studies, I went to Republic Poly to take up a diploma in Business Applications. The course comprises of a half on information technology (IT) and a half on business. I learned many things such as how businesses run with IT, code programmes from scratch using different languages, protecting information in databases and how banks work etc. I would say that my diploma is not really related to telematics but I will still try my best.

I wouldn’t say that I have any particular interest as I just follow the flow. I am up for anything popular. My goal in SIT would be to make more friends and expand my networking circle and understand the course well enough to be able to apply it in real life.

My aim for the future would be to expand the growing industry – telematics. I believe that SIT will be able to provide me with the foundation to be able to do so in the future.


Yours Sincerely,
Derrick Hiu

TLM1010 Group 1

Commented on:Wei Sheng, Sze Dee, Jie Lin
Edited on: 30 September 2016

7 comments:

  1. Dear Derrick,

    After reading your introduction post, I am glad to have know you as my group mate better. I believe that we can understand the Telematics field better to apply it in real life.

    Regards,
    Sze Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Derrick,
    After reading your post i have a better understanding of you and you have included many details of yourself and also knowing your course in diploma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Derrick,

    After reading your email, I have a better understanding of the type of person you are and your interests. All the best in your future goals!

    Regards,
    Zakirah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Derrick,

    Your email was interesting to read. However there are a few points I would like you to take note of.

    Regarding your educational background, it may not be so relevant to include your primary education.
    Reading about your interest, I'm sure you have something particular you like. Watching TV is an interest too, so is playing games.

    Other than those points, your email was easy to read and was concise.

    I wish you the best for your future endeavours.

    Regards,
    WeiSheng

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much, Derrick, for this clear, concise and yet comprehensive introduction. It's good to learn something of your background. I suppose that for you as for many of your course mates, telematics was an unknown field. That might make it even more of a field of discovery!

    A couple comments on language use:
    1) I would say that my diploma is not really related to telematics, however I will still try my best. >>> (run on/comma splice)
    2) how business run with IT >>> (subject verb agreement error)

    All in all though this is a very good letter

    ReplyDelete